WAP – Weatherization Assistance Program
Weatherization is the nation’s largest residential efficiency program. The MDHS Weatherization Assistance Program is designed to reduce energy costs for eligible families by increasing the energy efficiency of their homes while ensuring their health and safety. The program, which specifically focuses on assisting the elderly, disabled, and low-income families with young children, improves the energy performance of dwellings to decrease monthly energy expenditures. Weatherization crews provide the most cost-effective, energy-efficient measures to address health and safety concerns, improve comfort and indoor air quality.
Services Provided May Include
- Ceiling, wall, and floor insulation
- Energy conservation education
- Air infiltration reduction
- Furnace repair and replacement
- Heating duct improvements
Weatherization Priorities are Given To
- Seniors (60 years of age and older)
- People with disabilities
- Households with children aged five (5) and under
- High residential energy users
- Households with a high energy burden
Who is Eligible for Weatherization Assistance?
The Weatherization Assistance Program is available to individuals who are within 200 percent of the current Federal Poverty Guidelines.
2022 Poverty Guidelines
|Household Size||Poverty Guideline||200% of Poverty Guideline|
How can I apply for Weatherization Assistance?
Individuals who have never received services may apply through the Common Web Portal. This site is available nationwide but services and funds are for residents of Mississippi only. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age or an emancipated minor. Individuals without access to a computer may call the Community Action Agency (CAA) or Human Resource Agency (HRA) in their area.
What Do I Need for My Appointment?
VALID PHOTO ID – Proof of identity is needed for everyone over 18
- Photo driver’s license, US Passport
- State-issued photo ID
- Employment ID
- School, college or university ID
- US Military ID
- Tribal ID, alien registration/permanent residence card, temporary residence card
SOCIAL SECURITY CARD- Social security number for all HH members
- Certified Copies
- Card for all household members regardless of age
- Provide copy for all household members regardless of age
- Award letters; (i.e., Social Security, SSI, disability)
- W2 form, paycheck stubs within a 30-day period, 1099, IRS Tax Forms with appropriate schedules
- Unemployment determination letter
- Child support, TANF Printout
- Other documents deemed eligible to verify income
- Copy of utility bills
- Lease agreement
- Mortgage documents (i.e., deed)
**Other documents may be required**