Service Requests & Complaints

Young children listening to day care teacher

Your first stop for help from the Division of Early Childhood Care & Development

Use the form linked from this page for general assistance or to submit a complaint about a child care center.

Submit a Service Request

Use Service Request for any of the following issues:

  • Child care Application Help
  • Provider Application
  • Provider Training (webinar)
  • Provider eLedger Help
  • Provider Underpayment/Overpayment
  • Complaints
  • Renewal for Providers
  • Report Information Change
  • Report Error on Certificate
  • Customer Service Feedback
  • Check the Status of your Childcare Application
  • Add Child to Program (Application Required) Only if Funds Available
  • Any other Certificate Related Questions

Please visit the Parent Forms Page for any changes you need to report in parent or child information.

NOTE: Do not upload CCPP Parent Application Documents or Change of Provider Documents to the Service Request Form. Use the proper links below:

Complaints About Child Care Facilities

Complaints against child care facilities are handled jointly by MSDH and the Mississippi Department of Human Services (MDHS). Unless ordered by a court, the identity of the individual who reported the complaint shall not be disclosed outside of MSDH and/or MDHS investigative staff.

Learn more about filing a complaint and how to follow up on the status of a complaint at the MSDH website.

The Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) provides a Child Care Facility Complaint Hotline for parents to report complaints: 1-866-489-8734

The Child Care Facility Complaint Hotline is answered during regular business days. At night and on weekends or holidays, the complainant may leave a concern and callback information via the voice-message service. On the next working day, MSDH staff retrieve all hotline voice messages and record complainant information. An MSDH official will return a call to the complainant for additional details if necessary.